- Online Teaching Conference '13 Program Announced
- Theft Of Higher Education Records Up In 2012
- EduSoCal'13 Meet/Share/Learn/Play Again
- PESC Spring 2013 Data Summit
- Open Education, MOOCs And Student Access
- Nominate Excellence: BOW, DEAA, DCCA Awards
- Security News 04.15.13
- CCC Information Security Survey Results
- New Video Repository For The CCC System
- CISOA Tech Awards, Conference Wrap Up
TechEDge eNews Update
Last Updated on Thursday, 10 May 2012 Written by Sandoval Chagoya Tuesday, 08 May 2012
There is still time to register for EduSoCal'12, a one-day information and educational technology micro-conference to be held at Loyola Marymont University in Los Angeles on May 17. Registration is only 50$!
According to its website, "EduSoCal is the premier face-to-face conference in California where you will Meet/Share/Learn/Play with your local peers and colleagues working in the fields of information and educational technology." This multi-system, higher education event will be attended by faculty and staff of the California Community Colleges, the California State University system, the University of California system, and a variety of private colleges.
The conference features a keynote conversation with Lynda Weinman, co-founder and executive chair of lynda.com. Weinman is a self-taught computer expert, author, educator and entrepreneur. A Web graphics and design veteran and author of dozens of best-selling books, Lynda wrote the very first industry book on Web design, Designing Web Graphics, in 1995. Before launching lynda.com, she was a faculty member at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA, and worked as an animator and motion graphics director in the film special effects industry. Lynda has also been a consultant for Adobe, Macromedia, and Microsoft, and has conducted workshops at those organizations in addition to Disney. She, along with her husband and co-founder Bruce Heavin, evolved lynda.com from its original concept as a free web resource for her students, to the site for her books on Web design, to the registration hub for physical classrooms and conferences, to a highly successful online training library.
The keynote and program presentations reflect the conference's theme: "Living in a DIY and BYO World."
There will be presentations or panel discussions in the following areas:
- BYOD (bring your own device) issues on college campuses,
- iPad projects at different schools,
- Web conferencing,
- the online classroom,
- and iBooks authoring, as well as other topics.
The conference planning committee expects to be able to take some registrations at the door (credit card only) but attendees are advised to sign up online before the event if possible.
The EduSoCal'12 planning committee includes the following individuals:
- Michael Berman (CIO of CSU Channel Islands)
- Crista Copp (Academic Technology Director at Loyola Marymount University)
- Jay Field (Associate VP of IITS, Long Beach City College)
- and Dan Olsen (Info Tech Consultant, CSU Long Beach)
Sandoval Chagoya is the TechEDge Managing Editor and a Project Manager for the
California Community Colleges Technology Center and the California Virtual Campus.