- CVC: Your Distance Education Connection
- Not Too Late: Free ICT Faculty Development
- Stellar General Session Lineup At OTC'13
- Sloan-C Annual Conference CFP Due June 3
- Best of California Awards 2013: Due June 4
- NEW CCCApply Will Be Free For Colleges
- Online Teaching Conference '13 Program Announced
- Theft Of Higher Education Records Up In 2012
- EduSoCal'13 Meet/Share/Learn/Play Again
- PESC Spring 2013 Data Summit
TechEDge eNews Update
Last Updated on Tuesday, 18 October 2011 Written by Sandoval Chagoya Friday, 03 June 2011
The California Virtual Campus has announced that it is working with MyEdu to connect California students to courses and resources intended to help the California Community Colleges increase graduation rates.
This partnership leverages MyEdu’s services and technologies to create strong connections between students, advisers and faculty on California's college campuses.
"The CVC MyEdu partnership evolved naturally from CVC's extensive research into and evaluation of online tools designed to help students navigate their academic career and successfully join the workforce," said Vicki Suter, CVC Director. "MyEdu offers an excellent online suite of services connected to real time college data. A student using MyEdu will have a decided advantage over a student that does not use MyEdu."
MyEdu's online services include the following:
- Course Scheduler: Connected to course offerings at all 112 colleges, with special attention to online courses
- Degree Planner: Interactive tool to understand required courses for degree completion
- Credit Manager: Track college courses and see how credits transfer from one institution to the next
- Degree Timeline: Semester-by-semester plan to spread out hard courses for balanced course workload
- Course Fit: Analyze course data and reviews for best-fitting class selection
The tools offered by MyEdu are free, can be personalized by students and allow for social connections to other MyEdu users.
MyEdu currently has more than two million users nationwide and works with more than 750 universities and colleges. In California it has been embraced by the following student associations and more will join them in the coming weeks:
- Associated Students of the City College of San Francisco
- Associated Student Government of Palomar College
- Associated Students of the University of California
“We partnered with the California Virtual Campus to ensure all the California community college students gain access to the free tools and information that MyEdu provides to enable college success,” said Karen Holst, VP of Corporate Marketing for MyEdu. “At a time when statewide budget cuts are reducing class availability and requiring students to get creative about completing their degrees, MyEdu is a useful tool for the students to stay on track to succeed in college, graduate on time and successfully transfer to a 4-year institution.”
Students that use MyEdu benefit by increasing their chances of academic success, with pronounced impact to these academic indicators:
- Improved completion rates
- Improved transfer rates
- Reduced time-to-degree
By working with institutions directly, MyEdu has proven the following results:
- Increased percentage of students that obtain a degree on time by 35 percent
- Improved student GPA
"The use of MyEdu’s applications have proven to cut college costs by up to 20 percent by reducing the amount of time it takes to earn a degree and helping students stay on track. MyEdu has helped more than two million students graduate from college and prepare for joining the workforce," Holst said.
The foundation of the CVC MyEdu partnership is expressed in the similarity of each organizations mission.
From "What We Do" at the MyEdu site:
MyEdu holds a deep conviction that achieving a college degree improves the lives of individuals, families and society more than any other endeavor. We believe that by delivering data through innovative applications and leveraging social technologies, we will solve the challenges facing students and educators today.
MyEdu’s mission is to provide the free services that will increase student success rates in college, reduce their time to graduate and ensure they secure a job.
From "About Us" at the CVC site:
From the higher education student’s point of view, there are too many barriers to completion of their academic and professional goals. The California Virtual Campus provides complete, timely and accurate information about online courses and programs in California higher education, and serves as the guide to students as they navigate through the complex world of distance education in California. CVC’s focus is to provide a full suite of system-wide distance education student and faculty services with the goal of getting a traditional or online student to degree or transfer faster.
As a project funded by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office by a grant to the Butte-Glenn Community College District, the CVC operates so as to develop, construct, and maintain core services and relationships that support and enable distance education efforts at all California colleges for all students.
While CVC has a distance education focus, it advocates the use of MyEdu for online and traditional students at all of California's campuses and recommends that California's community colleges explore the tools that MyEdu offers students for free.
The CVC MyEdu team includes the following individuals:
- Tim Calhoon, Director, California Virtual Campus: email@example.com
- Sandoval Chagoya, Project Manager, CVC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patricia Donohue, Project Manager, CVC: email@example.com
- Chris Chilek, Co-Founder & SVP of Products, MyEdu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kevin Colegrove, VP of Campus Sales & User Partnerships, MyEdu: email@example.com
- Karen Holst, VP of Corporate Marketing, MyEdu: firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule an online demo or arrange a visit to your campus to better understand the services available, contact Karen Holst at email@example.com.<>
- The MyEdu partnership is announced and linked to from the California Virtual Campus homepage: http://www.cvc.edu/
- A brief announcement on the CVC site: http://www.cvc.edu/2011/04/myedu-partnership/#more-4909
- MyEdu's homepage: http://www.myedu.com/
- 'What We Do' from MyEdu: http://about.myedu.com/what-we-do/
Sandoval Chagoya is the TechEDge Managing Editor and a Project Manager
for the California Community Colleges Technology Center and the California Virtual Campus.
Photos couresy of MyEdu.